Do you find food shopping stressful? Do you end up forgetting to buy things that you need? Is it challenging to buy “mostly” healthy foods? How does the shopping experience make you feel? Here are some strategies to make shopping more enjoyable and help to support your wellness goals!
1. Shop after you have eaten, so you are not hungry while shopping! It is too easy to buy too much if you shop when hungry because everything looks good!
2. Make a list of what you need to buy and bring it with you to the market. If you plan your meals in advance you can create your shopping list and be more likely to get what you need!
3. Go to the outer aisles first and get your produce, veggies and fruits. Then continue you’re your list and only go the aisles you need to!
4. Avoid the candy, cookies, baked good and frozen dessert aisles.
5. Keep in mind the 4 C’s: what goes into the Cart, then into the Car and into your Cabinet becomes Calories eaten!
6. Go to the outer aisles first and get your produce, veggies and fruits. Then continue you’re your list and only go the aisles you need to!
7. Avoid the candy, cookies, baked good and frozen dessert aisles.
8. Keep in mind the 4 C’s: what goes into the Cart, then into the Car and into your Cabinet becomes Calories eaten!
9. Consider using some quick and easy recipes that include simple ingredients.
Here is an example of Ground Turkey Enchiladas stir fry.Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
• 1 pound lean ground turkey
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
• 1 cup broccoli florets One 15-ounce can no-sodium-added black beans
• One 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
• 1/2 cup salsa
• Suggested toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, shredded cheese, lime juice
• Pour 1/2 cup of water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour the couscous into the saucepan and stir well. Turn off the heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
• Meanwhile, in a large skillet or wok, cook the ground turkey over medium heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Drain the excess fat and wipe the pan clean. Heat the oil in the same pan over high heat, then add the squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, 3 to 5 minutes more. Add the turkey, beans, enchilada sauce and salsa and stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
• Serve with the couscous and top with suggested toppings as desired.
Good luck and have fun!